Competency:

• Teachers will share information with their peers gained from attending Professional Development (ProD) sessions (seminars, webinars, podcasts, in-service days, etc.) to improve their understanding and knowledge of their profession. 

Play is the Way Workshop: Reflection

Play is the way is defined as a “practical methodology for teaching social and emotional skills” (Play is the way, n.d). The program aims to support students to help them meet BC’s curriculum core competencies, and involves physical interactive games for the students to develop “personal and social competencies” (Play is the way, n.d.). Furthermore, the program includes “guiding concepts” that help children make the right decisions, and “specific and empowering language [to] help children master their behaviour” (Play is the way, n.d.). The program also has Indigenized its content to reflect all students. Ultimately, Play is the Way teaches self-regulation, behaviour education, personal and social skills, and Indigenous knowledge.

Play is the Way is a program that I am fully trained in, believe in, and advocate for. I worked at an elementary school that was the program’s lighthouse school for Canada. As an education assistant, I witnessed Play is the Way assist students with emotional intelligence, decision-making, and kindness. Seeing the power of the program firsthand, I wanted to share the methodology with my fellow teacher candidates. Thus, in my first year of the B.ed Program, I planned a Play is the Way workshop for my fellow teacher candidates. For this to occur, I secured an educational grant from Thompson Rivers University Student Union. This workshop required me to organize with the Play is the Way coordinator, Leroy Slanzi. In addition, prior to the workshop I advertised and sold tickets. I also had to plan the venue location and set up and tear down after the event.

Overall, I was able to plan and bring the workshop to my fellow teacher candidates. In the process, I learned about grant practices, event protocols, advertising, and ticket sales. In conclusion, the Play is the Way workshop was a success, as all the participants noted that they enjoyed and valued the training.

Play is the Way. (n.d.). What is play is the way?. http://www.playistheway.ca