Competency:

• Teacher will be able to access resources to enable Indigenous traditions into teaching pedagogy.

To learn more about Indigenizing my teaching pedagogy, I utilized the resource of cohort 3 by reaching out and talking to Jennifer Edwards from cohort 3. 

I created a web map to show what I think it means to Indigenize education, as well as what I have learned about the topic. After creating the web with all my ideas, I spoke with Jen Edwards from Cohort 3 about the topic. We discussed pieces I could add and the concepts I missed. I chose to explore this deeper because I believe that Indigenizing education is a huge piece of inclusion, and of course a component of the Truth and Reconciliation Calls to Action (cite). Please reference the word document for my reflection write-up.

Indigenizing Education Concept Map: A Reflection

For the inclusive education portfolio assignment, I decided to make a concept map to show my understanding and learning of what it means to Indigenize education. I wanted to reflect my knowledge on this because the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Calls to Action mandates an Indigenized curriculum, and one of my main goals is to continually improve my understanding of this (BC Government, 2020). After completing the concept map, I wanted to increase my learning so I reached out to Jennifer Edwards from cohort 3 to ask her if I had missed anything, made any mistakes, or misinterpreted any information. Through this conversation I was able to discover what I had missed on the topic.

First, Jennifer mentioned including The Indian Act and its provocations (J. Edwards, personal communication, October 27, 2020). As mentioned by Edwards (2020), the Indian Act “framed the way that non-indigenous Canadians would ultimately view and treat the First Peoples” (personal communication, October 27, 2020).  I instantly realized this was a major component I had not included on my concept map. I suggested to Jennifer that I should have included a bubble called ‘History’, with branches including ‘teach it’, ‘the Indian Act and its provisions’, ‘residential schools’, ‘the 60s scoop’, and several other “historical and ongoing wrongs perpetrated against Indigenous peoples” (BC Government, 2020).

Edwards also mentioned the idea of highlighting resources and topics that could be attached to the ‘all subjects’ bubble (personal communication, October 27, 2020). We discussed that indicating direct curricular content ideas would have been a good addition. Edwards also suggested adding storytelling into the concept map, as storytelling builds relationships and could fit under the bubbles of ‘relationships are key’, ‘all subjects’, or ‘talking circles’ (J. Edwards, personal communication, October 27, 2020).

Connecting to physical, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual pieces was also indicated by Edwards as an important way to Indigenize curriculum (J. Edwards, personal communication, October 27, 2020). According to Edwards, by incorporating these four connections into lessons students are able to better connect and learn in a classroom setting (J. Edwards, personal communication, October 27, 2020).

Finally, Edwards discussed information about Knowledge Keepers. It was reiterated that ‘Elder’ and ‘Knowledge Keeper’ are two separate titles, which was a good reminder as I find myself only thinking of Elders when bringing Indigenous speakers into a classroom. Knowledge Keepers could branch off from the ‘ask for help bubble” (J. Edwards, personal communication, October 27, 2020). Connected to asking for help, Jennifer suggested a few resources for me to save for the future, including a book for teachers on Truth and Reconciliation.

Ultimately, Edwards helped me learn even more about the large concept of Indigenizing education. By discussing the areas I had not included on my concept map, I was able to increase my knowledge of information I need to further study. Overall, my interview with Jennifer reinforced the importance of asking for guidance to ensure I am authentically and accurately Indigenizing curriculum for future students, and meeting the calls to actions of the Truth and Reconciliation education mandates.

BC Government. (2020). Truth and Reconciliation Commission Calls to Action. Retrieved from https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/governments/indigenous-people/new-relationship/truth-and-reconciliation-commission-calls-to-action